Subject: My Quick Review (with pros and criticisms) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Kelling
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I received my copy of Mint Works earlier this week and I wanted to give it a shot. To be honest I don’t remember why I backed it (probably because it was cheep), so I didn’t have any huge expectations for how good it would be, but I wanted to be able to teach it at my next game night so I sat down to learn the solo version.

I played two Solo games; I lost to Rachael due to running out of Mints, then I won against Mort because I got lucky and I drew four red gear Plan cards in a row that he couldn’t buy; without all four of those in a row I would have lost.

Pros: I was surprised how engaging this little game was! I was sucked in and I keep wanting to play it over and over. The gameplay is very tight and compact, and there are just enough decisions that you can make that are impactful without being overwhelming. I very much enjoyed playing it.

Cons: There were some downsides, but they typically had to do with the components/rules. For example: The rulebook was just too small. I have young eyes that have great vision, however I had to squint and struggle to read the rulebook. In addition to that, I struggled to understand the rules so much that I had to watch an online walkthrough to understand what is going on. (More advanced users could probably read between the lines, but I think he tried to make the rulebook compact and he left out a lot of steps that beginners like myself need to understand what is going on.) This happened over and over; for example I had to look in the BGG forums many times to clarify rules that could have been easily explained with a more standard sized rulebook. My last criticism is that the “Advanced Locations” should have had a different colored back so that they would not get mixed in with the rest of the deck.

(I also didn’t like how the square corners of the rulebook/quick guide kept catching in the corners of the tin. I understand why some people like it, but it was just getting in my way. Thankfully I have a corner cutter and I snipped the corners off and I am much happier with it.)

All in all, once you learn the rules and figure out all of the exceptions that go along with it, the game is very fun and enjoyable. I highly recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katanna wrote:
I received my copy of Mint Works earlier this week and I wanted to give it a shot. To be honest I don’t remember why I backed it (probably because it was cheep), so I didn’t have any huge expectations for how good it would be, but I wanted to be able to teach it at my next game night so I sat down to learn the solo version.

I played two Solo games; I lost to Rachael due to running out of Mints, then I won against Mort because I got lucky and I drew four red gear Plan cards in a row that he couldn’t buy; without all four of those in a row I would have lost.

Pros: I was surprised how engaging this little game was! I was sucked in and I keep wanting to play it over and over. The gameplay is very tight and compact, and there are just enough decisions that you can make that are impactful without being overwhelming. I very much enjoyed playing it.

Cons: There were some downsides, but they typically had to do with the components/rules. For example: The rulebook was just too small. I have young eyes that have great vision, however I had to squint and struggle to read the rulebook. In addition to that, I struggled to understand the rules so much that I had to watch an online walkthrough to understand what is going on. (More advanced users could probably read between the lines, but I think he tried to make the rulebook compact and he left out a lot of steps that beginners like myself need to understand what is going on.) This happened over and over; for example I had to look in the BGG forums many times to clarify rules that could have been easily explained with a more standard sized rulebook. My last criticism is that the “Advanced Locations” should have had a different colored back so that they would not get mixed in with the rest of the deck.

(I also didn’t like how the square corners of the rulebook/quick guide kept catching in the corners of the tin. I understand why some people like it, but it was just getting in my way. Thankfully I have a corner cutter and I snipped the corners off and I am much happier with it.)

All in all, once you learn the rules and figure out all of the exceptions that go along with it, the game is very fun and enjoyable. I highly recommend it!

The PDF version of the rulebook is here online at BGG and if you download that file, you can read the rule book in all its full glory. There is obviously a form factor limitation with what gets put in the tin. I don't hold that against the game when the rules are easily accessible elsewhere.

The designer has said elsewhere that the rules were specifically designed not to have the corners cut, but he didn't say why. My speculation is that they keep the mints from falling out when you open the tin, but that's just a guess. I don't have a problem getting the rules out, but then again, I don't mind bending and twisting them in the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree that the rules are a little too terse, especially for people who aren't familiar with this style of game; the first draft of the rules from the Kickstarter was clearer. Being more explicit about things like making it clear that "building" a plan means turning it face up would have helped, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with the criticism of the rules. We had to download the rules from BGG to be able to find out what the starting locations actually are. Because the advance starting locations have the same backs as the rest of the cards and the rule books says the starting locations are double-sided.
Including a simple list of starting locations in the rules would have made it so I didn't have to go online and find rules to be able to play the game. With a 20-minute game it was extremely irritating spending 20 minutes just figuring out how to set it up. Learning how to play at that point was simple and I enjoyed the game which only took about 30 minutes for a first game with 4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.