Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Sessions

Subject: To backstab a backstabber rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once in a while, my gaming group meets and we play a whole day of Cosmic. It happened today and we had some very fun games with the new Cosmic Eons expansion. We were five players and each of us took a day off from work. For the last game we had only four players.

I was Alien, Michelle was Sniveler, Joe took Remora and Guy was the almighty Oligarch. The powers wasn't so important for the story (except Oligarch), but I must say that Alien is a very cool power. It works great, it's very enjoyable to play it and it is well balanced. The fact that he can't do his magic as an offense is very important for it not being too powerful.

I had a Cosmic Zap from the beginning of the game and with each Privilege that Oligarch placed faceup I thought if it was a good move to zap him. I knew that the Victory Possession Privilege existed, but I didn't remember that not only he wins with four foreign colonies, I also have to get to six to win.

Oligarch's turn came. I had four foreign colonies, he's on three. He had four of his Privileges placed faceup in front of him (I didn't play my Cosmic Zap and no other player wanted to play one or maybe I was the only one holding one. At that time, I didn't know). The fifth one was the dreadful Victory Possession Privilege. There were only three cards in my hand at that time: Mobius Tubes, that Cosmic Zap and a Negotiate. Destiny chose me. I knew I can't stop him from gaining his forth colony, which would give him an instant win with every other winner, and I didn't want that to happen so I said: "Hey, Guy, why don't you aim the gate to this planet. You already have a colony on it. We'll both play Neg and win the game together after you'll use your power to place that fifth Privilege, I know it makes you win the game with four colonies."

Now, he knows that it also means that he's winning the game alone. I don't know that, so that's exactly what he's doing - aiming the gate to the only colony he already have in my system. He's ready to backstab me and win the game alone, and I'm ready to backstab him to win the game alone myself.

But wait - Remora plays Wild Fire Dancer. It forces the offense to aim the gate at a different planet in the targeted system, so now he's encountering a planet he has no colony on it. I have nothing to do. I only have a Negotiate. So I say: "Well, are we going to trust each other and play our Negotiates?" He says: "Why not?"

I reveal a Negotiate. He reveals a Morph. I offer a colony-for-colony deal. He accepts. I gain my fifth colony, he gains his fourth and then places the Victory Possession Privilege faceup and says: "Ha Ha! You lost. All other players need one more than normal, so you need six to win! I won alone!"

I look at him and say: "Oh yeah? Well, Cosmic Zap! I win alone!"

Michelle says: "Oh yeah? Well, I already lost, so I don't care. Card Zap!"

Oligarch wins the game alone, but for two minutes or so we can't stop laughing for this crazy ending, in which we both tried to backstab each other and then came the third player and turn things upside down again, and yes, I know, It's a little bit of kingmaking, but you have to admit it's a very cool way of kingmaking. I think it was the first time I lost in a game of Cosmic encounter and enjoyed the loss as if I actually won. It was also the first time I can recall that a player gained his fifth colony and "immediately" lost while another player gained his forth colony and "immediately" won. It was a great ending to this crazy and fun day of Cosmic Encounter games.

I hope you enjoyed this little story... cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Meurman
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session. Personally I think it is totally in the spirit of Cosmic Encounter to be a kingmaker, if you have the opportunity. It really is that kind of a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent!! Bill Eberle and Peter Olotka would be very pleased to read how that turned out. Oligarch was clearly one of their favorites in this set. It went on the cover, after all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Schmid
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice session.

DeePee wrote:
Great session. Personally I think it is totally in the spirit of Cosmic Encounter to be a kingmaker, if you have the opportunity. It really is that kind of a game.

You are definetly right. But revenge is sweet...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Burns
United States
Troy
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is "Michelle" Michal, who played in a PbF game with us a while back? She's a good player (and ended up winning). I love the cardplay at the end; she made Guy the king, maybe because you weren't playing the "meta" game well enough. Beg, wheedle, cajole... anything so that you're the king!!

Speaking of Guy... is that Bosco? Or does he live in a different part of the country? If it were Bosco, he'd probably be crowing about his victory here already...

Nice to hear that Alien is a good, solid power. It was the one alien I couldn't really get a good read on from Eons. Question: do you think its "red light" status is appropriate? Or would it - like Sheriff - be better regarded as a "yellow light" alien?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Tapley
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
homertve wrote:
Once in a while, my gaming group meets and we play a whole day of Cosmic.

Drool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
We played with just the Eons aliens last weekend. I was Particle, and we also had Alien, Assistant, Crusher, Surgeon, and Architect. As I went for my solo 5th (and 6th) colony, I was foiled by Alien, and the trauma that changes my reality. They agreed to strip away one of my foreign colonies (which meant stripping away two of them).

The players with Architect and Crusher were both first timers, and after my "not win", eventually everyone got up to 4 colonies. Architect was encountering Crusher, and I reminded them that they could deal to win alone rather than part of a 5-way win that the others were suggesting. They talked it over and decided to go that way, except that when cards were revealed, Crusher had a negotiate, but Architect revealed attack 23... screwing his opponent, and the rest of us for his first win in his first game. Sneak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjburns3 wrote:
Is "Michelle" Michal, who played in a PbF game with us a while back?

Yes. She actually asked me to call her Michelle in this session report cool

rjburns3 wrote:
She's a good player (and ended up winning). I love the cardplay at the end; she made Guy the king, maybe because you weren't playing the "meta" game well enough. Beg, wheedle, cajole... anything so that you're the king!!

About that -

Now that I think about it, the game before that was even crazier. I played Multitude, "Michelle" was Sheriff (another great power, BTW, we had a lot of fun with that and an app that had some whistle sounds), Idan was Daredevil, Guy was Loser and Joe was Hunger. It was a very well-balanced game in which I got hosed down by Loser. My exponential growth factor went up to ×16(!) and when the Wild destiny was finally drawn (they said I put those two destinies on the bottom on purpuse), Guy played Cosmic Zap on me, so he could win against me more easily, but this was Card Zapped immediately.

Anyway, Guy was going for the win against Sheriff-Michal. He sent only one ship (the loser) and Michal invited all of us. We were talking about how many ships to bring to the battle, and Idan said that it doesn't matter and we should only come if we had Reinforcements to play on Loser. I asked again if it doesn't matter, he said it doesn't matter. I didn't have any reinforcements but I did wanted those blue cards, so I sent four ships (like everyone else). I thought he had Cosmic Zap to stop Loser from declaring an upset. He didn't have that. Instead, he had the Reinforcement +X. With that, we stopped Loser from winning the game. We lost (won) the encounter by less than four points, so we each drew eight rewards(!) thanks to Daredevil

Joe played a Hand Zap on Idan, and it was a great play because at that point he have more than ten of those blue cards, including some really cool cards like Kicker X3 and such. It was also great for me because he left me some tricks...

Hunger's turn came. I had some Rifts, so I told him not to target my Reward deck cards. He didn't listen to me, and took my Rift 3, which blew up in his face.

Few encounters later, my turn came, and I was going for the win. At that point my exponential growth factor was ×4. I didn't want to get Loser as my destiny, so of course I got him. However, I had two Kickers, one of the Kicker X2's and the Kicker X-1. Perfect. I sent one ship (it worth 4) and he was so sure he is going to beat me so he invited nobody. He declares an upset, I played my Kicker X-1 with an Attack 14. He reveals an Attack 06. I win, but then Joe plays Solar Wind(!). Well, good thing I had the Omni-Zap... I played it and won the game. Crazy game with a cool ending. I think this was part of the reason Michal played that card zap on the next game. She didn't want me to win two consecutive games...

rjburns3 wrote:
Speaking of Guy... is that Bosco? Or does he live in a different part of the country?

No, it's a different Guy. They both live in the same city, though, and Bosco was also invited, but he couldn't come. Maybe next time!

rjburns3 wrote:
Nice to hear that Alien is a good, solid power. It was the one alien I couldn't really get a good read on from Eons. Question: do you think its "red light" status is appropriate? Or would it - like Sheriff - be better regarded as a "yellow light" alien?

Yes, he "deserves" the red light in my opinion. I consider myself a veteran player and it wasn't simple to decide which trauma to give and when. Some of the traumas are even good and you have to decide which player you want to work with and in what way. In some cases it's not so simple to evaluate how it will work, because you can return the ship with the trauma only on a future turn. You have to plan things ahead and really know the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.