Popular Tags: [View All]
wilky
Germany
Hilden
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Targi & Targi : Die Erweiterungen
Targi is one of those games that every time I play it I love it but we often overlook it for other games. I am not sure why, it is an engaging and fun experience which deserves more recognition. I for one will play this game a lot more this year as we want to explore the games we have.
For those that do not know the base game it is played with a grid of 3x3 cards surrounded by a ring of “border” cards that give you set actions and / or goods. These border cards can give you one of the games wares (salt, pepper or dates) there is a 4th ware which counts different (gold). The cards that make up the 3x3 grid are of 2 different types, either goods cards which give a choice of goods or a two of a certain good and tribe cards; these are separated into 5 groups Targia(s), camels, tents, wells and oasis. The goal of the game is to collect sets of these cards. Each player builds a personal display of up to 12 cards in a 3x4 grid. To score the most points you want a row of 4 of the same tribe cards (4 bonus points) or 4 different tribe cards (2 bonus points). Each tribe card has a set number of victory points and some offer an advantage, which is either an immediate bonus or an end of game bonus.

Now onto game play. Each player has 3 Targi figures and 2 markers in his colour. Each player taking simultaneous actions to place a Targi on one of the border cards, which will then create intersections over certain cards in the 3x3 grid. These are then claimed by the player’s markers, there are some restrictions however, you cannot place your Targi on a card with a Targi of your opponents or directly across from them, there is also a robber who blocks an action every turn (and every 4th turn he robs both players) and you cannot be on same spot as him. Players then remove their Targi’s and markers in any order taking the border card actions and the cards they have chosen in any order. Players then build the Tribal cards that they can afford, one tribal card can be held in the hand by each player (to build this card they need to take the aristocrat action to play a card from hand). This continues for 12 rounds until either the robber gets to the last border card or a player builds his 12th card (I have never seen this).

We have player Targi at least over 15 times and we recently player our second game with the expansion. The expansion adds new elements to the game. First off a Targia figure now moves in the opposite direction to the robber and she gives you a bonus in that you can take a good of your choice or give up a good and take the top card of the goods deck (a risk that prove costly). There is also a new ware; water this acts as a joker that you can at any time give up 3 water for 1 gold or 2 water for 1 other ware (salt, dates, pepper), it is also used as a currency to buy cards. The third addition to the game is Dune cards which give a onetime action or end game bonus or wares etc. These cards can be very strong and we routinely forget about them  when one of us uses one it can have a dramatic effect on the game. The downside of these cards is that you need to place a Targi figure on one of the 3 active cards to claim it, that means on the main 3x3 grid you only will have 1 intersection and gain benefits only from 2 border cards, this can be an agonizing decision. The last edition are a few new border cards that replace ones from the base game and new Tribe cards, these are the same suits as the base game. Some of these cards have a cost you pay to build the card and the victory points at game end attached to them and also an option to pay more for the card (e.g. 2 x salt and 1 date) to get bonus victory points that you get immediately.

Even after 2 plays I can and my wife both agree that we will never play the base game again without the expansion, it adds so much more to the experience and also adds new theme and challenges.

As you can see the game is simple to play but it introduces some difficult choices, do you try and get the cards you want or is it better to try and block your opponent from what they want? Do you build up a lot of resources to then splurge on numerous tribe cards (not forgetting you can only have 10 goods (salt, pepper, dates) at the end of each turn? We find that this is one of our favorite games as it offers meaty choices and just enough strategy. This is one of those games that are a perfect mid weight game to pull out on a week night when we are not in the mood for a heavier game and we want something challenging that can be played in 60 minutes or less. The game really ebbs and flows like all great games should, I usually have rounds of buying tribe cards and then a round or two of collecting goods while my wife goes for a more even approach of not going always for the most expensive cards.

This is my first ever attempt at a review so all comments are welcome. I hope it is clear and easy to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Steiger
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A well writen and easy to understand review. Thanks a lot. I am very glad that You like Targi and the expansion so much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your thoughts on the expansion. I'm very much looking forward to the English edition next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. It was very well done.

I am excited about the expansion but I'll wait until the English version comes out. Long time to wait, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.