10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Timdogs Kingdom death Summaries: a most blessed settlement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
I've been playing this game with 2-3 other people depending on availability, and I've been summarizing the goings on during the matches to the best of my ability, and thought I could share it with the readers here too. Honestly, this settlement is due for some bad stuff because we've been incredibly blessed since the prologue lion.

Lanterns 0-1

We started the new campaign last night, with 3 players (playing 4 survivors). I think we know the rules well enough now that there will be no reason to reboot until we all die

The prologue lion was actually a lot worse than the 1st level 1 lion. I’m fuzzy on the exact fight with the prologue but I know he drew enraged mood right away, adding extra damage to every hit, and that just sucked. It ended with Justin having a broken back (so still useful, sort of) and Josh having his head exploded – and Josh was the +Str survivor cry We also rolled minimum on the survivors so we are starting this party off with 9 people total, one already gimped. We chose cannibalism to get the extra loot as this game is very resource heavy. We didn’t pull very well from the loot – LOTS of bones, not much of else – but still chose to innovate and pulled Hovel This is great to get on the first turn.

One of the two living and unwounded survivors stayed behind to learn language and lead our people, we made some stuff to equip 3 newbs and 1 experienced survivor (me) and went out to hunt a regular lion. I took a skull helm and bone blade, Josh took a dagger and a rawhide headband, I think the extra survivor did the same, and Justin took bone darts. These darts became real important!

While hunting the lion we found that the lion was stalking something on his own, which meant he started the match with Ground fighting in play. Ground fighting is a weird mood that is brutal, unless you have ranged attacks – the lion just sits there waiting to claw your face off, with extra damage and strength, unless you wound him. Next we found an area just reeking of lion pee, that would of let us innovate ammonia for free if any of us were wise enough but sadly, not this early in the game. Something else happened that wasn’t too bad but I forget, and lastly we found a dying prospector who gave us a portcullis key. No idea what it does or if it will ever be useful, which is driving me nuts lol.

We then entered the showdown. The lion started lying on the ground just waiting to own our faces – but thankfully, dart boy took care of slapping a wound on him and breaking ground fighting – for now. We did some damage, and then Justin threw another dart and perfectly destroyed the lions nuts! This was a bit of an issue because this was pretty early in the fight and it added an extra +1 damage to him, so he just become a lot more scary – all individual hits now ripped us of any protection. Thankfully though the lion didn’t pull very good AI cards typically, and between the long grass and whatnot he didn’t really do much to us. Towards the end, the lion pulled ground fighting again which was great as we were able to run around and harvest some stuff (we rolled quite well, 2 out of 2 of us got arcancis (sp?) from the plants, and 2 of 4 of us got a broken lantern from a lonely tree). We then set up and had Justin throw like 5 darts until he finally broke the ground fighting. Josh had to eat the lions last basic attack, got hit twice, for the body and the foot, completely taking all his health down in both but thankfully stopping just short of a permanent injury. A chop of my sword ended this thing with no permanent injuries to any of the 4. Great!

Loot was odd again – we got 2 more broken lanterns, a love potion (yay, babies!), a second pair of lion nuts (seriously, where was the second pair, and why was he so mad when we took off his first pair during the fight??? EDIT: We figured out we were doing loot wrong, and should have removed the nuts the first time, so we re-drew another random resource) and mostly bones again. We DID get a lions eye, which I have never seen yet and leads to one of the most useful item in the game (depending on who you believe) – the cats eye trinket. It lets you look at the next 3 wound location and put them in whatever order you want. You have to waste your action on it though. So we are having a huge hide shortage. I’m tempted to build the weaponsmith right away as we have 4 pieces of scrap already (the broken lanterns) so could make 2 metal weapons already! But we may not have enough hide to both innovate and do this – we will have to look. I don't remember the exact loot breakdown but I feel like we only had 1 hide.

On the way back after the successful hunt, we wandered into some toxic mist that had some terrible options. Thankfully, a 1-3 on a d10 was actually the best result this time and I did roll that, so all it means is that all 4 returning survivors can’t hunt this turn. This does have some potential ramifications though – since we only have 9 people, and 4 of them can’t hunt, this leaves us with 5 people, one with a gimp back. We did get love juice, so we can breed. As long as we use the broken back gimpy girl and one of the male returning survivors as the breeding pair, even if we roll terrible and kill both of them, we will still be able to have 4 healthy people go hunt.

TheTimdog was the only survivor to level up (doing both hunts) and I rolled a random fighting art and got tough. It’s actually pretty cool, adds one to any roll on the sever injury table except 1, meaning as long as I don't roll a 1 I don't die outright.
As we wandered back into camp, the area broke into crazy screams as the screaming antelope made its presence known. The character, who had already gained both courage and understanding by teaching us how to speak, chose to stand against the screams. He stood strong (I rolled a 10 ) and gained another courage, and a fighting art that I don’t totally remember but is decent. This did have the side effect of giving the returning survivors more insanity though, so I think my character is at about 8 insanity :O

Stuff to do:

Have babies! We will have 1 for sure via the love juice, and then we could potentially have more via the organ grinders special (we have 2 more endeavors we could use on that)
Innovate if we can – OR build the weaponsmith. I think if we innovate we won’t have enough hide to build the weaponsmith. So we need to look at both and see how we want to deal with it.
We have 2 more lions to hunt before the dreaded butcher. We need more hide, badly, at minimum for some bandages, but some more armor would be just super!

Mid lantern 0-1 update: Babies have landed
We went ahead and used Love juice. I used it on the broken back female in case she died - and of course instead they gave birth to a healthy baby, and when i rolled on the special event table for being nice to your kids I rolled that both parents got +1 evasion. What a waste! Any suggestions on how to kit out a + evasion -2 movement survivor who can't use any weapon above str2? daggers i suppose. or make her my tank - evasion her up and give her the cats eye circlet to use every turn. and bandaids for the butcher fight. hmmm.

Then used augury twice and got 1 survival and 1 more roll on the intimacy table, which then gave us one more baby. up to 11 bodies now.
For innovation we pulled Ammonia and Paint. The party wants Ammonia because there are events that just bone you if you don't have it, but i think they don't understand the power of dash. Truthfully i don't either having never used it - never made it far enough to have it yet. Are we being super stupid, should i really try and talk them into Paint? EDIT: 3 of 4 voted ammonia so now all you can do is point and laugh, decision has been made. I think its not the correct call but we shall see...

Other lanterns will get posted as replies if i can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 2: Gorm hunting!

With the accompanying storm, the Gorm have landed. One survivor stood against the storm and was inspired to use a rock to blind himself, but became faster with his king spear. We left with 4 new survivors due to the event from last time that had the experienced survivors sitting out.

We had a very lucky event on the way that netted us 3 random gorm loot, which was great because our loot draws were terrible again (well, sort of - see later). One of the three random was a Gorm monstrous hand, which counts as all 3 hide, bone and organ, so huzzah! We also had one of the survivors suffer a brain damage, which was a big deal since all 4 had 0 insanity that was a light wound, meaning any more brain damage would result in a roll on the brain damage table.

The Gorm fight started about as scary as possible, he pulled one of two of his advanced cards which did 4 2 damage hits! I rolled, WELL, for the monster and did all 4 hits and locations of body, body, body and hand! Thankfully, the survivor he targeted was one of two that had some dried acanthus so that survivor dodged one body hit, took the hand and body hit stripping him of all health in those locations, and used the acanthus on the serious wound.

I then threw my stone first thing and pulled a god damn trap card! GAH! This knocked down everyone and did 1 brain damage to everyone. This caused the one brain damaged survivor from above to roll on the serious injury table! Thankfully though she basically said "fuck that, you can't hurt me" and gained 5 insanity back. Phew

After this we got smarter and started using the lions circlet EVERY TURN. God damn that thing is great. There is officially one person using this and/or a rawhide headband every damn turn from now on lol. With this, we kept attacking smart and burying the trap, only triggering it when we absolutely had to and were ready for it. We were able to get rid of his two advanced AI cards with using the rawhide headband and specifically targeting them, and after that he really didn't have much teeth left so we took him down with no serious injuries.

Gorm loot was great, but the "regular" loot was once again two love potions and two broken lanterns! And yes, loot was pulled separately and properly, we just have that kind of luck apparently. We now have 6 lanterns that we will lose against the butcher (yes, i am assuming a party wipe, we aren't geared enough to live i think) unless we find a use for them next year (we need heat to really use them).
We did breed our faces off and used the two potions and got an additional intimacy event from the settlement event, and ended up adding 5 more kids so up to 16 population all of a sudden.

We did innovate and chose to take drums, which we really didn't want BUT you need it to get the innovation you need to get rid of the storm, and running the risk of losing an innovation every year on a 1-3 roll is just to scary. We are using the 1.5 "corrected" drums at least so the are a bit better. Still sucked to be forced to take it, but that's part of the Gorm deal.

I think we will make a knuckle shield, but we haven't decided yet. That will not leave us much hide for armor, and going into year 3 with basically no armor except rawhide headbands is pretty damn scary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 3: Well that was a banner lantern year!

We did decide to hunt a Gorm again. We first wandered into some fog, and got turned around, but thankfully the monster was far enough away that we didn’t get ambushed by the monster. We then found a group who had killed a Gorm, and he warned us about some of the problems in the area, allowing us to skip over a bad hunt event (which we immediately did, it just had to many bad options, don’t recall which one it is). We then stumbled on another freshly dead corpse of a Gorm, and heard a wicked howl of a grieving Gorm. We had the choice of standing our ground (starting the match right then being ambushed AND the Gorm being enraged) or taking 3 brain damage and running away. Thankfully, we all were insane upon starting the hunt so we decided to take the hit to our brain and ran away. We had one more event that wasn’t terribly notable and stated the fight.

The first card we pulled was one of his two advanced, which targeted all of us for brain damage. Which wouldn’t have been an issue if we hadn’t JUST drained ourselves down to 0 (except one of us) due to the above event! D’oh! We officially had no cushion for brain damage any more.
Thankfully, we brought two Orators of death so we were able to boost our insanity instantly and give us back the brain cushion. The fight essentially became the same as last – using the cats eye every turn, which was good because once again the trap was in the first 3 cards! We did end up triggering it once by accident (rolled more hits than we wanted one turn) but other than that we kept it buried. It was a long fight, but overall none of us took any real damage and we ended amazingly – the monster had two hits yet, and the two hit locations both had no reaction and gave a resource on a crit. Our dart guy crit on one of them naturally, grabbing a hand (god I love these!) and 1 decided to just end the fight, and threw my stone (the last one of the group) grabbing a rib (also good!) and ending the fight.

We pulled loot and ONCE AGAIN pulled a love potion and a broken lantern (we now have 7). Our odds on those potions are just nuts I think – every single turn I’ve had at least 1. Overall after innovating (see below) we have 4 bones, 3 organs (one is the acid thing we kept from last hunt)and 3 hides to work with. And 7 lanterns

At this point our luck switched firmly to “on!”

On the way back, we all leveled and two of us got + accuracy, one got +str and the other got a random fighting art (not a terribly great one, thrill seeker – whenever we gain survival during a showdown, gain a second. I don’t even know how to gain survival during a fight ).

We rolled against the Gorm storm, and hovelled against the storm so no big effect there. We also walked in on the settlement who had been experimenting with talking apparently as everyone was babbling incessantly. One of our returning survivors immediately took control, figuring out how to talk to everyone, becoming the mother of words and gaining some understanding, which pushed her to a threshold and she gained tinker (+ 1 endeavor whenever she returns from a hunt).

We then innovated and pulled bed and inner lantern. We agreed that the ability to surge meant more than the chance of stronger kids, so we took inner lantern. This pushed us to 5 innovations, so we then triggered the twilight sword event (I forget its name). Basically an armed knight walked up to the returning survivors, picked one at random (since they all had the same experience) and threw a package at him. That person now has a twilight sword. (this happened to be our dart user, which is our only ranged guy, so it’s not terrible – he can throw darts as needed, or smash with the sword if in range. I would like to have a bow user, but since we stopped hunting lions we haven’t had that option yet… we may want to throw a lion in the mix after the butcher) The knight will give him 4 years to learn how to use it, then be back to duel! This person decided to take their weapon specialization in this sword so we have to try and make this person go in every hunt for the next 4 lanterns as that sword gets pretty wicked upon leveling.

We next used the love juice, and rolled an 8 on the table so would have had a plus strength kid had we taken the bed. Ah well
(this is where the dice get insane – I honestly wouldn’t believe him if I wasn’t there to see him roll it but he did it in game so it’s legit)
We then used 3 endeavors to roll on the augury table, and rolled 8,8, 10 – great, three more intimacy events! Out of those events we then got 1 normal child, 1 set of twins and 1 special child!!! (again, stupid high dice all over). Our population, which started at 9, is now at 21. We’ve lost one survivor, the one we lost in the prologue, and that’s it. Butcher is up next so I’m guessing that comes crashing down lol.
So we have a saviour to choose, which one of the party immediately named Emma Swan (does I lose my man-card because I got the reference immediately?)

I am inclined to go really weird and grab a green one, and give that saviour the cats eye circlet. My thoughts are: all the cats eye person ever does is use the stupid cats eye, shes essentially a lost person. So if we give this saviour that, she can move around and keep in the monsters face while using the circlet, taking hits for the damage dealers and stacking the deck for us, making her a bit more useful than our current user. Also, since two of the 4 of our “normal” survivors have + evasion naturally now, this gives us a solid group of people to take hits. Am I nuts?

And we need to figure out what to make. I’m thinking two monster greases with the two organs, the acid dagger with 2 bones and the acid organ, and three rawhide pieces for protection. This will depend heavily on which saviour we go with though (edited out something incorrect at the end here)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 4: the butcher just wants a hug

So, we came into this just dreading the butcher. And for the first two turns, we were proven very right to!

One of the big concerns going into this was our brand new savior had 0 insanity, which is scary against the butcher. so on the first turn we popped Orator of death to boost her some. Orator of death is way more useful than i was expecting when i got it. We had limited hits we could get on him due to range, and one of the first three cards was trap, so that limited the number of attacks we could do on him. His return salvo was brutal, He pulled one of his advanced cards (bite) and did an auto serious injury to the head (he hit with both attacks, so we couldn't dodge and avoid it). He made one of our plus evasion guys deaf, so - evasion. Blargh. However, this actually became really useful as the fight progressed.

On our turn, we checked the cards and pulled a cleaver, something else, and the trap again. Ugh. One chance at a wound, and we failed, prompting some nastiness. We then triggered the trap to try and get some more attacks in, but all we did was eat some damage and be totally ineffective at wounding him. Then he countered and hit us hard again. At this point we hadn't even done one hit to him, and already were down armor on some people and started to get pretty worried.
Thankfully ,at this point stuff started clicking. We started getting better hit locations, and actually being able to wound him. We used the newly deaf survivor to trigger the hit location that does damage and knocks down non-deaf survivors 3 turns in a row, take that you asshole lol.

We got him down to 2 AI cards, hack and kick. Hack is an advanced 4 speed 2 bleed damage card of suck, and kick is the broken ass card that if you get it as the last card, you are trapped in a permanent kick rotation and die (because it causes you to draw a new card, and if its the only card left you "shuffle" it back in and draw it again, ad nosim until you die). So, that freaked us the fuck out. Thankfully, we were able to do hack, kick, hack and end the rotation ,and our savior's multiple armor locations allowed her to live through it, and she avoided one of the two hacks so didn't die of blood loss in the one turn. We then used a headband to make sure to put the kick first and tried our damnest to get one hit on the bastard, which we did, so bye bye kick! Phew. We then ended the match on the card that knocks him down and gives everyone plus courage, which allowed one of us to hit the first threshold and gain stalwart and +1 strength. Only suffered one -evasion vs the butcher, i'll take it! Notably everyone with a weapon proficiency (shield, spear and twilight sword) were able to get a wounding hit in so we all leveled those.

We rolled 10 on the butcher loot table, giving us 1 cleaver, 4 more lanterns, and an ability to regrow a missing limb which we couldn't use (I wish we could have used that on a broken back or deaf). This put us to 11 lanterns! Ridiculous.

We wandered back victorious to the camp where one of our newbies was sure we were haunted by ghosts. Turns out he was right, he ended up possessed by it (+2 str, +1 accuracy, no fighting arts or weapon shit - not sure if thats a good trade or not). We weathered the Gorm storm again, no issues there.

We then hit the timeline event: Red hand. Our +str spear wielder who was just deafened by the butcher decided he would try it, because if he died, no biggie, he only had + str, nothing too special. Well he rolled well, and got another +1 str, the red hand fighting art (so he'll start each fight with another +str) and notably, the innovation that gives you heat!!!! When sitting on 11 fucking lanterns for scrap, heat is great! It also gave him courage, which popped his threshold and gave him matchmaker. It also have him one reroll to use on that turns endeavor rolls, so we used him to breed right away with matchmaker and boom, rerolled into a second savior.

We ended there, with 3 endeavors still to use, which we will probably use on the new drum table and give two or three of us Synchronized strike because honestly, we really don't need more population right now. We need to figure out which savior to breed.

So another banner year, we keep avoiding doom on bad rolls and honestly feel spoiled thus far. Keep waiting for the bad shit to hit! We may hunt a level 1 lion this year, see if we can make a bow, and give that to the savior and make her blue. Not sure yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 5: It's raining saviors

Before we left to hunt, we decided to use our remaining endeavors to roll on the augury table instead of getting drum fighting arts, mostly cause we'd like to max out the understanding of our green savior and try to get her ageless We did roll 2 understanding (giving up 2 of our 11 lanterns, oh no). We also rolled another breed event. Rolled a 9 and a 10 - yep, another savior. That's number 3 for those counting. We decided to make this one green, and named her Emma Gosling (hehehehe). (we did make the one from last turn blue and named him Clark Kent).

We then went on a lion hunt, level 1, and it was a damn joke.
During the hunt our first survivor stumbled on a man-trap, but thankfully it was rusted and almost broken so it broke once it hit his leg, doing minimal damage. We then found the cats pissing grounds, which is really a non-event now. We then found the cats scratching grounds and we all searched, gaining one courage each, and 3 of us found nothing but one of us grabbed a lions claw.

We then stumbled on a Dark Blacksmith. We had two of the four of us at 3 courage, so both tossed him an item - one a bone dagger, and one a bone dart. The bone dagger was eaten and spit back out, causing one brain damage to that survivor, but for whatever reason the blacksmith really favored the bone darts and ate it, making it gone forever, but spitting out a shining steel sword in exchange! I really wanted the shield since we have so many good weapons at this point, but beggars can't be choosers

We took almost no damage and just ripped down the lion. We are in a place where offensively we can just own the level 1 lion, but we still have so little armor I'm not convinced we can handle a level 2's incoming damage (the extra speed and damage adds up, fast). We didn't take either of the two new saviors, probably should have. We did take someone who was at 1 xp so she leveled, and we took the existing green savior (who leveled and rolled +str) and two of our other veterans (one using the twilight sword). All 3 people who needed to level their weapon did so, so that's solid. Loot - you guessed it, 2 more lanterns and 1 more love potion. I can't even.... GAH. Is the basic resource deck only full of lanterns and love juice????? (I did check, all 22 or whatever cards are in there).

We returned home and while sheltering against the Gorm storm, one of our 0xp survivors gained 1 courage from seeing how awesome we are. We then decided to act out the nemesis battle with the butcher we had previously. We did such a good job that the person who was acting as the hunter gained a fighting art (The most useless fighting art in the deck lol, last stand. if 3 of 4 of you die, this feat becomes active and you have abetter chance of not dying yourself. lllame).

We then rolled 3 more times on the augury table with our experienced green savior and missed any understanding, getting 2 survival and 1 intimacy event. And with that intimacy event - yep, another savior. We now have red savior Buffy Summers on deck.

Some armored strangers came to town, looked at the 23 (!!) people we had and were like "yeah, we need to wreck some of your shit". They decided to break one of our innovations, and it was randomly selected to be drums, so we decided to not fight that cause we really don't need them anyways. (we probably would have only fought back on the 5-7 roll that means he would have killed our two bravest survivors, those two are pretty awesome and worth saving).

We built the leather worker and 3 monster necklaces, and that was about all we could do. We will say fuck it to the lions, screw the bow, and just go with Gorm and try and get some hide to make some leather and get some armor on these people. Then maybe we can go to a level 2 monster...
Next year the twilight sword guy comes back to try and wreck our twilight user. As long as he damages once in the next fight, he'll be immune to dying instantly, so will be starting down the path of being so awesome that he departs the community. He'll be fun while we have him
We are thinking that we take the three new saviors our for a spin next year, along with the twilight sword user who is also an orator of death which is good as those noobs need some insanity. We are going to give the butchers cleaver to the red savior, which would be handy EXCEPT she can't use it till she's insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 6: We really need to step up to level 2 monsters...
We hunted a level 1 Gorm again, and again just destroyed him. The hunt was actually a lot more dangerous and had a few "instant kill" possibilities but thankfully, our luck held and we didn't roll any of them.

The party consisted of our brand new green, blue and red saviors and our one experienced twilight sword user. We wanted him to get the 3rd point of weapon specialization before the hooded knight returned so he couldn't be killed by the knight, and he had orator of death which was great for our new and not insane at all saviors.

We started off and stumbled on a Big stature holding a very good looking sword. The only one who had any chance at doing it was our 4 experience twilight sword user, but he had a 4/10 chance of cutting off his arm vs a 1/10 chance of getting a really fine sword, so we chose to skip the event, with none of us getting the + courage. We then continued on and found the Gorm's pissing grounds, but no one had enough understanding to get it, and instead we had to skip and roll another random encounter. This one was a Found Relic, which gave one of our saviors 1 insanity. We then got lost, and got turned back 2 steps away from the monster. I then found a pit, which I fell into and suffered 2 leg damage with Buffy Summers, our new red savior.

We then found a flesh monolith rising out of the ground, which was certainly scary, but thankfully we again avoided the instant death and just had the reveler spend one survival to dodge that certain death (rolled a 2. Phew!)

Lastly, we found some monster droppings. our new green savior decided to inspect them instead of eat them, and got some understanding and confirmed that we were hunting what we thought we were. this put us straight into the fight.

The fight was a joke, we have so much offensive power now (the twilight sword hits like a tank, the red savior has +2 str from a monster necklace, + butchers cleaver = 2 auto hit and auto wounds on level 1 critters, we cats eye the deck, the 3rd has the kings spear with some innate str and the monster necklace so we really can't not wound with it too). We really should be on to level 2 BUT they could rip us down in one attack routine since we have no armor essentially. this was not our choice, this has just been really restricted hide in most every loot pulls. It was a bit worrisome to start with no protection at all on Buffy's feet, but thankfully we started with some acanthus plants during the showdown and Buffy plucked some fresh acanthus right away and fixed this problem. Not that she ever got hit, but it was worth doing.
All the saviors leveled. The red savior got a just terrible fighting art (last man standing) but green got +accuracy green and blue got +str.
On the way back to the camp, we stumbled as cracks started appearing on the ground. I believe anything from 1-5 kills you on this event (with 1 being total loss, including all gear!!) so we were terrified of this roll, but the settlements luck held and we rolled an 8, and instead of losing someone found a founding stone that the earthquake pushed to the surface. PHEW! We then huddled against the storm successfully, and again inspired one of our younglings into being more brave.

We then moved to lantern year 7 and had two events: the Phoenix feather and the return of the hooded night. We let our experienced green savior roll to take the feather because if she died, we have a replacement, and we are trying to boost her understanding at all opportunities cause if we can get her agelss - ooo baby. Success, she rolled the 2-4 I think it is that we were trying to and for +1 understanding and a pheonex feather. This understanding caused her to pass the first threshold and she added +str to her already impressive self.

The Twilight knight came to duel with the person who he gave the sword to. That person was a dynamo, and absolutely handed the knight his ass ( rolled 8, +3 for skill = the highest result +2 weapon level and + insanity and courage I think). That's sort of good, the sword is now at level 5, but in 3 more levels we lose this user. bleh. We need to get family so he can start passing it down his line.

We innovated and took Symposium, so we'll have better choices going forward.

I didn't talk about loot yet. For those who have been reading you'll remember that we have gotten lanterns and juice every single turn so far. Well, once again out of the regular resources we got 1 of the 2 lanterns and 1 of the 2 love juices. We still have a love juice from last turn we just didn't use because our population is already stupid high lol. Oy. Resources damn you, stop with the lanterns and love juice!
We have 4 hide to work with, and 3 organs and 1 bone I think it is. Trying to figure if we max out a rawhide set on one person, or get a smattering of leather or work on some gorm set. I think we'll get one rawhide set complete, and then start on some leather.

I know we have the offensive power to handle a level 2, but one good roll on anyone but our green savior and they could easily die due to the extra speed and damage, so I think we need to do one more level 1 Gorm this turn, then maybe have enough armor to handle it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, someone had time to play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
lol this has been over the last number of weeks, i only just thought of posting here. You'll get one or two updates a week from this point on

I have one to do tomorrow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 7: a more challenging year, but overall good results

We decided to hunt on more level 1 gorm, in hopes of getting enough loot to go up to a level 2 monster next. We brought our one fight blue savior to try and crit farm some resources - he had +1 innate luck and we made him a luck stone so he was criting on 8+, not terrible. We brought 3 other vanilla survivors, but some of our most experienced ones, in order to move them towards next age threshold. Notably we brought out Twilight sword weilder, but made sure he never used his sword so never leveled it up (a level 1 monster is very killable without that sword, he was holding his uses for a more worthy foe).

Right off the go, cleaner birds swarmed our survivors, and ended up changing our deaf red hand king spear user (+1 luck, -1speed). Bleh, he was now only hitting one time with the king spear.

We then turned the headsplitting pain Gorm card and everyone was effected differently by the Gorm's brainwaves scrambling our own - our blue savior picked up the Quixotic disorder, so really good result since he's always insane One of our original 4 survivors, the one who got a broken back during that prologue fight, was with us today but sadly received the apathetic disorder ( can’t gain or use survival anymore) so she’ll have to be retired. Thankfully she was just there to use the cats eye and take some hits, so it wasn’t crippling for this fight. One of the other survivors took 1 brain damage, and the twilight sword wielder lost ALL of his insanity, which was up to 11 before this! This also moved the gorm 1 step closer

We then turned the flatten earth gorm card, which only resulted in the gorm going back to where he originally was.

Lastly, one of us stumbled and burned ourselves with the our lantern, burning up our cloth loincloth (fighting a gorm with your balls hanging out just doesn’t seem like a good idea )

We made it to the showdown. We pulled a nightmare tree and debris terrain. The fight went pretty well, even without a true tank, we still hacked this guy down in a few turns. We did crit farm some jiggling lard, so that’s something. The Gorm did nothing of note on his first turn, but on the second turn he used flatten which is a brutal advanced technique that does 5 2 damage hits BUT knocks the gorm down. Thankfully the one he targeted had monster grease and a rawhide head and chest, so that person had 2 evasion, and those 2 evasion let him slip out of 2 hits. Then that survivor was able to dodge on of the three hits, and then soak the other 2. That next turn we all just wailed on the Gorm, doing almost all of his damage. When he had 4 hp left, we pulled his death location damage card. This card gives you a rare resource (that doesn’t actually seem useful though) and more importantly, blinds the person harvesting it BUT also giving them +1 speed. Remember a certain deaf guy who just got a +1 luck – 1 speed earlier this match? We figured a –accuracy (from the blind) was a worthwhile trade for recovering the lost speed. So we spent a few turns manipulating the deck and soaking damage to make sure we ended on that card, and then had our deaf guy also go blind in one eye! During the fight 2 of us pulled a broken lantern out of the tree, and 1 of us pulled a scrap sword from the debris pile  This sword will go well with our blue savior since it has deadly, yay critting.

Outside Question: would you let a dried acanthus stop the blind from that card? It wasn’t a roll on the table, it was a direct “you go blind”. But it was a serious injury that he took while holding it… I think perhaps we should make him not blind and remove the acanthus. Unsure. EDIT: we as a group decided that the wording on the acanthus is broad enough that it would have activated to stop this blind - it clearly says when you suffer a server injury (and doesn't specify HOW you suffer it) that It activates and you ignore that injury. Blind is a severe injury, regardless of how received in our view so poof, no more blind deaf survivor lol.

Loot: Oh glorious loot. We gathered 2 hide, 2 organs, 2 jiggling lard (counts as hide and organ) (one from earlier in the fight), 1 monstrous hand (counts as all 3), 2 more organs and the 2 lanterns from the tree. This goes with the hide and bone we kept from last turn (which was almost all of it) So we had a glut of hide and organs. Finally! Our twilight sword user leveled, getting an interesting fighting art (may move any one damage onto his arm location per turn) and the blue savior leveled, gaining +1 strength (in addition to the luck he gets automatically).

We returned to the camp and unfortunately our apathetic broken back survivor and our blind deaf red hand survivor got into it on the way home, developing a rivalry. Thankfully though, they managed to work through the issue and both gained some understanding from it (phew! There’s a lot of worse results that can come from rivalry). We tried to shelter against the gorm storm, but didn’t do a good job, so had to give up an innovation to protect ourselves (we gave up Nigredo).

We then innovated and one of the 4 choices (thank you symposium) was scrap smelting! I’m incredibly pumped about this, as it opens the door to the blacksmith, which is end game gear. And we still have about 10 lanterns we can turn into iron lol. We probably won’t even make the weapon smith at this point, not sure it has anything worth it. We made the stone circle since we had so very much organs.

We used 1 endeavor to innovate,1 to make leather, 1 to make the stone circle, and had 1 left which we tried to use to get understanding with our oldest green survivor (who we are, and will be every turn, trying to get to max understanding) but I instead rolled an intimacy event. Rolled a 5 and 10, boom, another savior. That’s 5 folks. We took another green (Male, Iron-man) so we really can just use a green savior in most fights going forward while still keeping our eldest on the bench to try and get her ageless.

With all the loot, we decided to make one full set of leather. We gave this to the twilight sword user, meaning he can now hit like a train and is rather well protected while doing so. We have a green savior with about 4 armor across the board and 3 evasion, and a “bad” shield (want a leather shield instead of the knuckle shield, but we’ll get it eventually). We have a spear using red handguy who we will try and keep out of being the target by poking from range, and we have our blue savior who is now criting on a 6+ with his scrap sword, which he can also do at range. I think we can attempt a level 2 monster now. We have no dash, which everyone says is a death sentence, but we have better armor now, and can surge and do a lot of damage quickly (currently, all of our damage dealers will only fail to wound on a 1 due to innate, weapon and red hand strength).

I’d like to try a antelope since the stone circle uses loot from that guy, but having never done one, I’m not sure it’s a good idea to do a level 2, especially with no bow and no dash – rumor holds he just runs around like a fool and you can’t get good hits on him without some ranged or dash options.

After the next fight, the kingsman comes to town. Party!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Allaby
msg tools
new user
Lantern 8: level 2 lion and a murder most foul

Well, against all advice we decided to try out a level 2 lion without dash. We felt that as long as we could somewhat control the direction the lion would travel, we could still get enough hits on him to take him down before he took us down, even if we suffered some losses.

While hunting this beast we stumbled on the corpse of a dead lion, and our supplies were running low so we decided to eat it, which was a mistake, since all of us then got weak from the tainted meat. To bad none of us were wise enough to not do that. Second, we had a lion event that moved the lion one step closer (Great, no longer worrying about overwhelming darkness!) and rolled another random event. A flock of cancer pigeons descended from the sky, and two of us were slow enough to be designated stragglers! Thankfully, though, both of these stragglers then picked up the pace and got out of there with no further affects.

We then turned the Field of Grass card. We all gained courage, and tried to find the lion - but the lion instead found us, getting an ambush. Well, crap. Good news is it cut the hunt considerably shorter. Bad news is the lion now got to go twice before we could react.

We set up so the lion would target our green savior, as she had the best chance of living though it. We also circled the survivors starting positions to try and force the lion to drag the savior where we wanted, and then to target the next beefiest person (our twilight sword using full leather set guy) but be unable to reach him. This worked just perfectly, and even though we had a huge scare (he hit the savior three times in the opening round, which was rolled as foot, foot and foot!. Had to right away roll on the SI table but thankfully rolled a lantern, so was just a knockdown which she already had so nothing bad). Dragged her away, did more damage, and then on his second turn, he pulled a mood card that basically made it death for us to approach him BUT more importantly did NOT indicate to draw another card, so his turn ended. OK, we weathered that storm. Now our turn.

We picked our green savior up, and moved her up so she'd be a threat but not the closest target (we were trying to spread the damage out), ate the attack from the mood card, and used the cats eye. Our status as most blessed settlement got confirmed as one of the first three cards was the beasts Foot, which if you crit on it, NO MORE GRAB!!! We said fuck it, flung our founding stone we picked up in a random event a few lanterns ago, and boom! The largest issue of the fight went away.

After this, we had the armor and dps to just pound him down. Notable we had the crit location up do damage that if you cut it off, he gives you understanding, and we had that AI card in the deck, but i failed on the crit roll otherwise i would have set up the permanent understanding cycle and gotten 2 saviors to max understanding, our green and our blue. Darn, so close!

We did crit farm a few lion parts with our blue savior, who ended the fight lopping off the lions ding dong.

Feeling good about ourselves, we returned triumphantly about the fight. Apparently though one of our original founders, named after myself, got sick of hearing the blue savior talk about how good he was, because before then night was through he murdered that blue savior!! As we had accepted darkness though, we all just sort of said "Cool, you are our new boss" and TheTimdog got a huge boost in the way of three fighting arts and 3 disorders.

(Spoilers here due to specific cards effects- the wording on the card is pretty darn vague, and looking around online felt like most people PICKED the disorders and fighting arts, so we did too. We picked three fighting arts that focus on perfect hits (Perfect hit on a 9-10, gain one insanity on a perfect hit, gain one extra attack on a perfect hit) and 3 disorders that worked well with being insane (Quixotic, gain +1 str while insane) (Immortal - all damage gets turned into brain damage while insane, and Prey - can't spend survival unless insane). He should now be pretty fun to play

We then innovated, and got paint. sweet glorious Dash is now ours. Phew!

We face the Kingsman next, and we were joking about how wish we still had our blue savior to use on him, and one of the other players said "Well, we have that love juice, lets just breed another" and before we could say anything, grabbed two dice, rolled them and boom, savior :0. Couldn't believe it.

Couldn't have gone better.

We now get to look forward to the Kingsman.I believe we are going to say fuck it to trying to learn kingstep and just dps race him down - we have tons of outgoing damage, and thanks to the loot we now have 3 of 4 people with a shield, so his traps a bunch less scary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.