Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we had a very odd session this weekend.

2 well-versed veterans, 1 experienced player, and 2 noobs with 1 game between them.

Both noobs drew Cylon at the start. One was Adama; The other Starbuck.

I chose Tom Zarek to pay homage to our recently fallen. The other veteran then took Roslyn.

I started play, and immediately stole the presidency, before anyone had cards to counter and before the game state got demanding. For me this was pro-human (and more importantly pro-me) because I had no problem hitting up the president's office for all it was worth... something Roslyn is deficient at.

Almost immediately, she takes it back, dumping her whole hand (like...17 points?!?) into it.

She also states, that since she doesn't intend to use board locations anyway, she doesn't care where she is. So, she says she'll spend the rest of the game camping Admin, so Zarek can't ever use it again...

Then she gets 2 "president chooses" almost immediately and knocks our food down 3 points right out of the gate.

So... as far as I was concerned... one Cylon found...

Card counting confirms quickly that one of our 2 pilots is a Cylon.

This frees me to go all in for team Goodness far earlier than my norm. The flip side - my error in suspecting Roslyn means that I form a trust team with the Admiral that is not warranted.

Luckily, the Admiral decides to play a total human game, trusting that he'll just screw up our jumps near the end for a victory on that front.

At some point Roslyn uses her powers and actually selects "Riots" as our crisis. Which only adds to my suspicions because I think that's one of the worst crisis imaginable.

2-point jump.
2-point jump.
Around this point, we just lost all our raptors...not good.
1-point jump.
Not good. But brigging Adama passes control to Boomer, one of our 2 cylon choices...currently rotting in the Brig.
2-point jump and our fuel is at 1!!!

At this point, I make a strange value call. Roslyn gets sent to sick bay. I'm still aboard Colonial One, pinging the press room for bonus cards every round. This is my one shot to take back the presidency.

Instead, I XO my sworn enemy so she can leave sick bay and get a full hand. My feel was that I've never had team human come back from a game as dire as this one. So, if she was Cylon, we will lose. So, I assumed the opposite and crossed my fingers.

Well, she doesn't use it to reveal at least. Minor trust team established. Boomer has been sitting patiently in the brig for 2 turns now. She's in a rough spot. With no raptors left, there's literally nothing she can do to establish trust, other than not revealing.

Distance 7... 4ish population, 1 fuel, everything else in the red, we're at jump -3.

Starbuck reveals. Why not? He says. I think we've won. I'm doing nothing anyway. I want to see how this Cylon side works.

Play then passes to me: I draw legendary discovery.....

Immediate +1 distance. *IF* it passes. Boomer...locked in the Brig for the last 2 hours... says, "It passes!"

And Roslyn jumps us home for the win. One turn before the Admiral jumps us for -3 pop then picks a destination that presumably kills us.

Post-game wrap up:

The Admiral flips the next 2 destinations to see if his plan would have worked. Both were +3 distance and would take fuel well into the negatives.

And that's about when we realized... if Starbuck hadn't flipped 1 turn earlier... her once per game could have thrown out the Legendary Discovery for a Cylon win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Good session report but you have this rule wrong:

vlesperance wrote:
But brigging Adama passes control to Boomer, one of our 2 cylon choices...currently rotting in the Brig.

If Boomer is in the brig she would not be eligible to receive the Admiralty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, you're right. I don't think we put much thought into that particular succession. With a guaranteed Cylon hiding between the next 2 in the line of succession, Adama was fairly safe.

Also, funny bit that I forgot earlier. So, Boomer was in bad shape. How does she prove her loyalty? She actually skips her action twice, saying that she doesn't want the team to waste cards freeing her or keeping her in place. The 3rd time around, she tries to get out.

It turns out that both Cylons thought that she was their partner. So, Adama and Starbuck both bailed her out.

I recall saying at the time... there's only 2 cylons out there and 2 of you helped to free her, obviously thinking she's on your team. At least one person at this table is going to regret what just happened.

Another memory, it was Boomer who kind-a sort-a solved the logic puzzle for me.

The only saving grace the whole game was that there were almost no CAC cards. I think we got one once near the end of a cycle.

We did, however, have Roslyn and Boomer both in play (and for once, Boomer AFTER Roslyn for added power). At some point Boomer volunteers that Roslyn must be kicking ass burying the CACs, because Boomer hasn't buried any.

That had the ring of truth. So, while I disagreed with some of Roslyn's plays, I dropped our political war and started helping her.

Another funny bit. A crisis came up that would cost us 2 resources on a fail. I told Boomer that if she auto passed that crisis, I'd let her out of the Brig myself. She declined. She said she was saving her once per game for "Legendary Discovery" for the win. I looked at the crisis deck and said... that's one card out of the next 40. You can stay in jail.

LOL! Nicely played, Boomer, nicely played.

So, yeah, we should have lost horribly. But, hey, a W is a W.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
When Roslyn picked Riots, I'd be really interested to know what her OTHER option was. What's worse than that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GoodOmens wrote:
When Roslyn picked Riots, I'd be really interested to know what her OTHER option was. What's worse than that?

The other Riots. That happened to me once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like you were playing that Boomer's Recon ability requires a Raptor? She could have built some trust by scouting good Crises. As far as I know, it actually doesn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, it doesn't. But no, we played that right. Boomer had the bad luck that she buried 2 crisis in a row, then had to say, "Trust me. You're glad I did..." On the 3rd pass is when the two Cylons accidenently sprang her.

Really, the crisis deck was kind to us. It should with human Roslyn and Boomer. The dice hated us, eating 3 raptors.

The issues IMO:
2 cylons at start.
Not a single quorum card getting played.
Lost all raptors half way through.
The jumps being: 2-2-1-2...
No better candidate anywhere in the line of succession to control the last jump.

So, to be clear, Boomer *knew* that Starbuck was a cylon since... turn 3 or so. Because it *was* one of them. But Boomer decided to not say a word, because she wanted to wait until sleeper, just in case. Which made Starbuck feel like Boomer was the other Cylon. You could just tell they had a thing going.

We ALL felt like they BOTH might be Cylons.
Except the Admiral who WAS the other Cylon.
And me who felt like 3 players were acting like Cylons!

Man, I really suspected Roslyn. She's actually the person who first taught me how to play. She had many games under her belt back then, hence me labeling her a veteran. Yet, she's not part of our gaming group, so her style appears to have evolved very different than ours. Oh, did I mention she kept wantig us to jump at -3? I'm a -1 guy, myself. I was so sure she was a Cylon. And Starbuck. And probably Boomer...

So, I trusted the Admiral FAR more than I ever would normally, just because he at least was helping for half the game. But after the 2nd average jump, my alarms started beeping. And the 1 jump... playing like a Cylon. Cylon #4.

That was such a fun session!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.