Elk River
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.popebrain.com
badge
Have you seen me?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was super impressed with how much fun this game can be the first time I played it a couple of years ago with a group of adults. I had to get it, in the hopes that I could play with my young children, at what is really a near perfect age for this kind of game.

I've created a monster (pun intended) with my 6 year old boy. He has gone through the entire powers deck multiple times, asking me what each power does, so he will know the icons when he plays. Yes... he studies.

I really enjoy finding games that are on a level with him that I can play to win, and not feel guilty about crushing his dreams - and he can feel like we're really competing. We've basically reached that with this game. He won a game playing against myself and his granddad, and I crushed him in a game after that - and I don't get incidents with this game anymore, a lot having to do with how silly-fun it is. (Some other games, I still do.)

In this game, I started out as the Glutton with a Long Tail and a Paralyzing Gaze. Henry started out as the Seductive Kung Fu Master with an Unstable Mutation. We are using side B of the runaway board and we have the Space Cowboys, which we've really enjoyed.

I had some great luck in the early game, using my Long Tail to knock down buildings at a great pace, and with great results. I was careful about my diet and had 3 complete sets within the first few turns, which I thought would be a clear and massive lead that Henry could not overcome. Without even trying, I filled the rocket ship and drew Too Cute, and felt even more certain in my monster lead.

Since I knew Henry was Seductive, I more or less purposely caused a bunch of Blondes to escape, and used Too Cute to prevent the ill effects. That same turn, I found Henry in a position to do basically nothing on his turn, and played Paralyzing Gaze to shut him down for a turn - or so I thought.

With nothing effective to do except Breath Weapon, Henry managed to escape 3 old ones in what was supposed to be a useless turn, launching the rocket ship and secretly drawing Passionate Kiss.

Henry managed to use his Kung Fu Master power to knock out a couple of my teeth. I continued to smash buildings, getting the game to near close, only a couple of floors left. Because of my earlier shenanigans and Henry's unreal Breath Weapon effectiveness, the Blondes and the Old Folks were in short supply. Neither of us could complete many sets. Henry was competing for the last Blonde and had also managed to collect the Earthquake card with another very nicely executed Breath Weapon. It was then Henry decided to invoke his Unstable Mutation and drew Siren, Hurricane, and Climber. He cleared off a bunch of ruins with the Earthquake and of course, Siren was exactly what he needed to grab the last available Blonde. Nice move!

I tried to end the game by knocking down the last building, but failed to do so, when Henry pulled the surprise game winning move. He moved into my neighborhood and played Passionate Kiss, and wisely chose to steal two Blondes from my belly. This had the effect of breaking up two of my sets, losing me 20 points, as well as giving him the Seductive lead for the bonus 10 points. He also used his second action to again use the Breath Weapon to knock down the last building and end the game.

Scores
- Brian (10 set + 10 Glutton + 10 floors) = 30 points
- Henry (10 set + 10 Seductive + 9 floors + 2x2 teeth) = 33 points

This game is always fun, and I always consider it better with 4 players. However, with the unbelievable effective use of Henry's Breath Weapons and Super Powers, and my awesome dexterity play - this 2 player game was the most exciting and memorable game yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.