Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Hungarian I use quite a lot of special characters (vowels) that are also in the titles of many Hungarian geeklists.
(these are á, é, í, ó, ö, ő, ú, ü, ű)
When I search for a geeklist title with any of these special characters involved, the search does not work (and it's not a new problem, it's been like this for quite a while now).

For example, look for titles here: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeksearch.php?action=search&objec...
If you copy any of the titles in the search field you won't get any results.

It might be a simple character coding problem (or not), as when I look for board games the search does find what I'm looking for, e.g. when I look for Felhőfogócska.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In every well-made snare trap dangles a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, for Swedish special characters it just doesn't matter if you include them in a search string, they are converted into the nearest non-special equivalent prior to searching. Searching for "a-ö" finds not only A-Ö but also 1914: Offensive à outrance.

I think you should always be able to find items with diacritics by entering a search string without them, e.g. "felho" finds your Felhőfogócska.

Currently I'm more bothered by the fact that apostrophes are not considered to break up words like hyphens do: searching for "hurry cup" or just "cup" won't find Hurry'Cup!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
Searching for "a-ö" finds not only A-Ö but also 1914: Offensive à outrance.

I think you should always be able to find items with diacritics by entering a search string without them, e.g. "felho" finds your Felhőfogócska.

Maybe it's not clear what I wrote above (?), but Felhőfogócska also finds Felhőfogócska and searching games with special characters does work. Searching geeklists with special characters is what does not work (and unfortunately it even does not work if I enter their words without diactritics).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still not working.

In short: if geeklist search used the same character encoding/decoding/whatever as board game search, this problem would not exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In every well-made snare trap dangles a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the bug may be that the geeklist search is run against a table where diacritics haven't been stripped out, so because the search box always strips out diacritics from the search string, you can't get a match. (I'm not a database wiz, but having a dedicated diacritics-free search table seems more efficient than matching up sets of characters on the fly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.