United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Announcing The 2010 Golden Geek Awards!

The Golden Geek Award is given annually to the best new games of the year, as selected by you, the users. This year is our inaugural year for the RPG world.

The "Geekies" will be given in the following categories:

For Board Games
---------------
- Best Strategy Game
- Best Abstract Game (New Category)
- Best Thematic Game (New Category)
- Best Family Game
- Best Wargame
- Best 2-player Game
- Best Party Game
- Best Children's Game
- Best Card Game
- Best Artwork/Presentation
- Best Expansion
- Best Print & Play
- Most Innovative

For RPGs
--------
- RPG Game of the Year
- Best Artwork & Presentation
- Best Supplement
- Best Free Game
- Best Podcast

Here are the specifics:

In order to avoid voter fraud, we have adopted the following restrictions. Voting is restricted to either supporting users (having a supporter badge from any year is sufficient),voters who pay a one-time 20 GeekGold fee, or users who have purchased an avatar or a geekbadge.

Anyone caught stuffing the ballot box will have their votes removed and be suspended from the site.

There will be two steps to selecting the winners.

First, there will be a nomination phase. Each eligible voter can nominate up to 10 items in each of the categories. The 10 items with the most nominations in each category will become the nominees for the final voting. You are not restricted to the list of suggested nominees.

The board game nomination page is here. The RPG nomination page is here

The final voting will be resolved using a condorcet voting system - specifically the Schulze method. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schulze_method

For those who don't want to read the specifics of the system, users will rank the games in each category from 1 to 10, (with a 0 for no opinion), and, through some mathemagical computations, we will select the winner.

The nomination phase will run until 9/30 and the final voting for one more month (10/31). The winners will be announced at BoardGameGeek.CON 2010 in November.

You are welcome to campaign, discuss voting and nominations, etc, as much as you like. Let the awards begin!

Board Game Nominations
RPG Nominations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
What is the date range of eligibility? I noticed that Race For the Galaxy: The Brink of War was absent from the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Bryon
England
New Addington
Croydon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
What is the date range of eligibility? I noticed that Race For the Galaxy: The Brink of War was absent from the list.

Maybe it's a broader problem? I can't get the 'expansion' filter to produce any results at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are "previously nominated" games even on the list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I fixed the expansion filter to show ... expansions

Previously Nominated are not disqualified from being nominated again... previous winners are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the best podcast for any sort of gaming (board and/or RPG) or is it just for RPGs as is currently shown?

Edit: Apparently, it is only for RPG podcasts. Why no boardgaming podcasts?

Edit 2: In years past, reprints or new editions have been eligible for nomination (and have, in fact won awards). Has this policy changed? Otherwise, I wonder why A la carte, which was reprinted in a majorly upgraded edition is not available for nomination?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have always enjoyed these awards and found that they more closely matched with my interests than most of the other awards.

Thanks for presenting these awards and opening my eyes to more more titles than I otherwise would find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
I tried to submit a game not already on the list but got an "Invalid Domain" error...

Edit: Working now. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
HBGlover wrote:
I tried to submit a game not already on the list but got an "Invalid Domain" error...

Sorry about that - I meant to fix that bug - but missed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've run into a problem.

Tried to nominate The Savage Foes of Solomon Kane for one of the RPG awards. It doesn't appear on the list - so I search for foes and only boardgames are returned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:
Is the best podcast for any sort of gaming (board and/or RPG) or is it just for RPGs as is currently shown?

Edit: Apparently, it is only for RPG podcasts. Why no boardgaming podcasts?

Can I just echo this point? I mean, there's no way that my little offering would win, but it's be nice to see an award for all the great podcasters out there - especially as there's one in the RPG section as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
Scott,

Trying to write in Don Q. und der Dreh mit den Windmühlen, I see a red "Loading" box, but the game never comes up to select. Tried it in both Chrome and IE8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greyweather Fayre
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
Scott,

Trying to write in Don Q. und der Dreh mit den Windmühlen, I see a red "Loading" box, but the game never comes up to select. Tried it in both Chrome and IE8.

This happens to me with anything I try to write in.
Edit: Using Firefox
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion: For those of use who do not log plays, a "Rated" or "In Collection" filter would be very useful. Probably something for next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm having a problem with Expansions - it's giving me the message that I can only nominate 10 per category when I've only nominated six (and am trying to add a seventh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Luce wrote:
I'm having a problem with Expansions - it's giving me the message that I can only nominate 10 per category when I've only nominated six (and am trying to add a seventh).

Fixed now. A side effect of having RPGs in the mix. But should be good to go now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Melinder
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For your information, the "Click here for more information."-link on the nomination site leads to the info thread for the 2009 awards. Got me a bit confused at start .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deacondavid wrote:

Edit 2: In years past, reprints or new editions have been eligible for nomination (and have, in fact won awards). Has this policy changed? Otherwise, I wonder why A la carte, which was reprinted in a majorly upgraded edition is not available for nomination?

Funnily enough some reprints are up there while other such as A la carte are not - A la carte has been nominated in just about every major Family Game of the Year awards, so hopefully it will be given its rightful spot on the list of potential nominees.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Best Free RPG list seems incomplete. It has none of the 2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs games on it, for example. What filter is being used?

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce McGeorge
United States
Lawrenceburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
Hey you kids, get off my Avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
What is the date range of eligibility?

I'm still very confused by this... On the RPG side, there are games nominated that have been around for 30 years. Is it a lifetime achievement award or a 2010 award? Or am I missing something else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Chalker
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
The Best Free RPG list seems incomplete. It has none of the 2010 RPG Geek 24 Hour RPGs games on it, for example. What filter is being used?

-Dave

There's also a lot of stuff listed there that isn't free, or even have a free version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davethegame wrote:
wavemotion wrote:

-Dave

There's also a lot of stuff listed there that isn't free, or even have a free version.

That we can't help... we don't have a field for price (nor will we, for many reasons that aren't worth getting into right now). We'll obviously throw out nominations for items that are not free. But we do need the ability to pick any item from 2010 (or late 2009 as it appears we're allowing for RPGs) and not restrict some free items out.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Murray
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How can I see past winners?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Covert
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe we'll get a solitaire category NEXT year...

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very easy process to nominate with the 'played' filter - thanks!

ps - it says you may make 15 nominations in each category, but you can only make 10. FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.